Bo Jiang, a contract researcher working on "source code for high technology imaging" at NASA's Langley Research Center, was arrested under a charge of lying to federal officer on March 16, 2013 at Dulles International Airport on his planned one-way journey to return to China. He has been accused of espionage by Representative Frank Wolf, and is under investigation for possible violations of the Arms Export Control Act. An affidavit claimed that on a prior occasion, Jiang had taken a NASA laptop containing sensitive information to China.
On March 28, 2013, a U.S. Judge ordered Jiang released after a federal prosecutor acknowledged there was no evidence that he possessed any sensitive, secret or classified material. Jiang's lawyer says congressman Wolf is making his client a "scapegoat" and the subject of witch hunt.
On October 26, 2015 Congressman John Culberson announced the indictment of two Langley Research Center supervisors, accusing them of complicity in "espionage" in the affair. However no evidence of espionage was ever presented.
- ↑ Lambidakis, Stephanie (19 March 2013). "Update: NASA researcher arrested on China-bound plane". CBS Interactive Inc.. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57575014/nasa-researcher-arrested-on-china-bound-plane/. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Howard, Jacqueline (18 March 2013). "Bo Jiang, Former NASA Contractor, Arrested By FBI On Plane To China". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/bo-jiang-arrested-nasa-spy-fbi-china_n_2908082.html. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Sizemore, Bill (28 March 2013). "Chinese ex-NASA worker to be released pending trial". Hamptonroads. http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/chinese-exnasa-worker-be-released-pending-trial. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- ↑ Dujardin, Peter (21 March 2013). "Attorney: Former NASA contractor subject of 'witch hunt'". Daily Press. http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-03-21/news/dp-nws-nasa-contractor-hearing-20130321_1_jiang-last-week-federal-court-federal-agents. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- ↑ "NIA STATEMENT ON THE RELEASE OF DR. BO JIANG". 3 May 2013. http://www.nianet.org/press-releases/nia-statement-on-the-release-of-dr-bo-jiang/. Retrieved 10 Nov 2013.
- ↑ "Chinese scientist freed after felony case collapses". 3 May 2013. http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/chinese-scientist-freed-after-felony-case-collapses. Retrieved 10 Nov 2013.
- ↑ Culberson, John (29 Oct 2015). "Culberson Reaction to Indictment of NASA Supervisors". SpaceRef. http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=47156. Retrieved 29 Oct 2015.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|